Saturday, May 31, 2014

"Go Fish"

An oldie but a goody!


"Grammy, do you have 'Tightrope Walker'?

I have been teaching my 3 year old granddaughter to play "Go Fish". Teaching a young child to play  is very easy. I begin by taking a few of the matches and showing them to the child- "this is the "Jolly Juggler, can you find another Jolly Juggler?" and so on. Then we move on to matching some cards while they lay face up. After they get the hang of "matching" you are ready to practice "playing". To do this you may use 1/2 the deck or even fewer cards.  Shuffle out the cards into three piles- theirs, yours, and the "Go Fish" pile. The number of cards you deal out depends on the child's ability to play. Eventually they will be able to play with a full deck. We use a vintage card deck from the 50's much like I used when I played with my Grandma,  I love the old pictures, they bring back such wonderful memories! The deck we play with is actually the "Old Maid" deck, (she is not ready for "Old Maid" yet). 

Here is a link to the set I have!

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/children-s-card-games/213259268.html?listingId=99674866&scid=pla_google_AreYouGame&adid=18184&gclid=CjgKEAjw-6WcBRCsgNjFy-2OuGYSJADf4R2sO4MEfu_u1CzD5MxkkJSJcpIZzmw2scBYRXg2eraphfD_BwE

Isn't this funny, don't think you could print cards like this today!


The first few attempts at playing, place their cards face up in a line and talk through how to play, when ready, you can set up a large book for the child's cards to hide behind. Play begins by pairing up the matches in your hand and putting them off to the side. You or the child may begin by asking the other person- "Do you have the Thin Man?" at that point you either hand over the "Thin Man" card or say no- Go Fish. The opponent selects one card out of the "pond" of cards between the two of you. Then the play reverts to the other person. Theoretically if you get a card by asking, or draw the card you have asked for, you may continue play. But with little ones you be the judge of how you want to play. My Granddaughter, three years old, is a pro, and beats me every-time!

She has all the characters on the cards memorized. For example, "Grammy do you have Agile Acrobats?" or "Grammy do you have the Laughing Lion?"

I dare say, she has beats my by a landslide on most of the occasions that we play! How is this possible? Maybe because she always goes first!

P.S.- I like to use small cards as opposed to using large cards. My grandkids do not like using big cards at all and the smaller size fits easily in their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment